Apple Quest

A once hard-core PC user contemplates the exciting world of the Mac

Monday, July 10, 2006

The Crux of the Matter

I have finally discovered why I want an Apple computer so much. It all comes down to change. I've been using Windows XP for about 4 years (or however long it's been out), and I can truthfully say that I'm sick of it. I've been staring at the same icons , the same taskbar, the same programs for years now. I really need something else to look at. I've done all I can with Windows; I've explored all the cracks and crevices, and now I'm looking for someting else to explore.

That leaves two options: OS X and Windows Vista. The latter of these doesn't look appealing to me at all. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking. I've downloaded some of the betas for Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, and Office 2007. Office 2007 does have some really interesting features, but it's rather ugly. The default scheme is black and orange; it's like Halloween all over again. As for the other two programs, I'd rather stick with Firefox and iTunes. Not only do they look completely awful, but they are really hard to use and again, their color scheme is not pleasing to the eye. This "Aero" theme or whatever Microsoft is calling it looks garish and is not something I'd like to look at. Additionally, the Vista release has been pushed back until who knows when, adding further to the instability of the whole thing.


That leaves me with my other option, OS X. This operating system is A) beautiful, B) well-crafted to provide optimal usability, and C) is something new for me. There's new software to explore, new hardware capabilities, and many other freedoms over the PC of which mac aficionados are surely aware. So that's essentially the driving force for me to switch. I hope the day will come soon when I can get a mac!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home