Apple Quest

A once hard-core PC user contemplates the exciting world of the Mac

Monday, June 12, 2006

It's all about the ads

If I had to pinpoint the one moment I officially became a Mac enthusiast, it would have to be about a month ago when I saw Apple's new advertisements. These ads were put out (I assume) to gain publicity for their new product line of intel computers. One of the things that struck me most about these ads is that there seems to be an emphasis towards a younger, "hipper," generation of computer users. The Mac, which is played by a younger actor and seems very down-to-earth, wearing a t-shirt and jeans and describing the "life stuff" features of the Mac. The PC, which is played by a middle age actor (who is hilariously funny and makes appearances on the Daily Show), is much more business-like and uptight (and a little out-of-sync), and wears a suit and tie. I was really surprised that one of the ads actually recognized the PC as being better at office-type stuff (spreadsheets is what it said specifically).

I guess this reveals the direction Apple is headed for the meanwhile. Their target audience appears to be those in their late teens, twenties, and early thirties, who will be the ones that will make the most of the new suite of iLife applications. As for business people, apparently the Mac is not the machine for you. Shrug. Apple's emphasis on their target generation is also apparent in their promotion for college students, which will reward them with an iPod nano for purchasing a new Mac, in addition to their normal education discounts for students. Apple is obviously trying to establish a new generation of loyal users by choosing this target group. All I can say is that they must have a spectacular advertizing team, because they got to me. And if Apple can convert me of all people, they've been successful in their campaign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home